The task is to complete a 2000-word critical discussion paper in relation to a case scenario. There are two questions that you must address. There is a suggested word count given for each question. As a level 7 student, it is important to be able to demonstrate critical thinking skills. It shows a deep level of knowledge and understanding and allows you to demonstrate that you can relate complex knowledge to a specific clinical practice situation. You should also look at the marking grid and the commonly asked questions section at the end of this page.
You may find the information in the health profile for Peterborough useful:
https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/profile/health-profiles/data – page/1/gid/1938132701/pat/6/ati/102/are/E06000031/iid/90366/age/1/sex/1/cat/-1/ctp/-1/yrr/3/cid/4/tbm/1 (Links to an external site.)
A 61-year-old woman who is a professor is currently on sick leave from her university job. She is undergoing chemotherapy as she suffers from oestrogen-receptor-positive advanced breast cancer which is life-threatening. She also suffers from hypothyroidism for which she takes levothyroxine 50 micrograms once a day. The woman is an ex-smoker. She lives with her partner in a detached house in Peterborough where she regularly visits the local hospital for treatment and follow-up. She currently experiences oral mucositis as a side effect of chemotherapy.
In reference to this patient:
1. Critically examine the role of the pharmacist in oncology care to improve overall patient safety.
(Up to 1000 words)
2. Discuss the role of the public health pharmacist in supporting this patient with oral health care.
(Up to 1000 words)
• The word limit for the Summative Essay is 2000 words (+/- 10%). References (in-text references and the reference list) are not included in the word count.
• use Arial as the font.
• use 1.5 line spacing.
• References should be in the APA format. The reference list should begin on a new page.
• Do not state your name or student number (SRN) in the Word document that you submit to allow for anonymous marking.
You should submit the assignment as a Word document on Canvas.
The Summative Essay will be marked according to the marking grid attached
The commonly asked questions below should help with queries:
• How many references should I use?
There is not a specific number required but between 20-30 would be realistic. At level 7, you should be using clinical academic texts, like pharmaceutical journals, NICE guidelines and textbooks, not references aimed at patients (e.g. patient.co.uk).,
• How long should I spend on this assignment?
As this is a 30-credit module, you should be spending approximately 20 hours on this assignment.