Text: Intellectual Disabilities Across the Lifespan, Drew & Hardman (2007)
Chapter 1 Assignment
Understanding Intellectual Disabilities
Instructions: For all of the chapter assignments, please review the assigned chapter first. Open the assignment, save it to your desktop or jump drive, open the file on your computer, answer the questions, and upload the completed assignment to CANVAS. Use 12 or 14 inch font and APA style.
1. The field of study on intellectual disabilities (ID) has evolved throughout history. It has been widely influenced by economic, societal, and situational factors. One of the societal issues in the early 1900’s was sterilization.
(a) Discuss the Kallikak family as studied by Goddard (1913).
(b) Search the internet and locate information on Carrie and Emma Buck, a famous eugenics sterilization case (1927). Give a summary of the Buck case. ihttp://www.eugenicsarchive.org/html/eugenics/essay8text.html
2. The causes of ID appear to stem from biomedical, environmental, and societal origins. Approximately 20% of cases are deemed biomedical (such as Down Syndrome and other genetic disorders), with the remaining 80% of cases being virtually unknown.
(a) Discuss potential environmental causes.
(b) Discuss potential societal causes.
3. Drew & Hardman (2007) discuss the AAMR (American Association on Mental Retardation) in the textbook. In reality, the national organization has now changed its name to American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disability (AAIDD). Locate the new organization on the internet.
(a) What is the mission of the AAIDD?
(b) What resources are available on the website?
4. Over the years, psychology, medical, and educational studies have shaped the diagnostic criteria and treatment of individuals with ID. Review pages 15-22 in the textbook.
(a) Discuss the educational contributions pertinent to the evolvement of ID in the areas of identification, adaptative behavior, intelligence testing, and treatment.
(b) Discuss inclusion as it impacts current educational placement for children with ID.
5. The old classification of ID included IQ ranges that placed an individual in one of four categories: mild, moderate, severe, and profound. However, the new categories of ID place an individual in one of four categories, based on his/her need for support.
(a) Locate the four intensity levels of support on pg 24-25. List and DEFINE the intensity levels.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.