Project 2: Technology & the Self – Full Description
This assignment aims to explore the connections between technology, history, human experiences, and self-identity. The Required Learning Materials in weeks 2, 5, 6, and 8 serve as the background for this project.
This is a staged assignment in three parts. These stages are:
• Week 6: Stage 1 – Technology Timeline
• Week 7: Stage 2 – Interview & Field Report
• Week 8: Stage 3 – Comparison Paper
Instructions for all stages are below. read through all the stages before completing each part. Make sure you can address everything the assignment requires.
Stage 1: Technology Timeline
For stage 1, you will create a timeline of your life using five specific artifacts of technology. At least two should be non-digital (a tool, musical instrument, appliance, non-digital electronic device, a form of transportation, etc.). You will then write a concluding paragraph that reflects on the overall impact of these technologies on your personal experiences and development.
For your timeline, do the following:
1. Select five specific artifacts of technology that have impacted you throughout your life, and find a picture of each.
2. Arrange your pictures in a chronological timeline by associating each picture with a specific age or time in your life.
3. Write a title for each picture that includes the following:
a. The name of the technology
b. The year you first used the technology
c. Your age at the time
4. Write a 3-5 sentence caption for each picture that describes how the specific technology influenced your experiences and self-identity at that time in your life. When writing your captions, you might consider these questions: Did you have an emotional connection to this particular technology? Why? How did this technology shape your self-conception? Your relationship with others? How did this technology affect your thoughts about yourself and the world?
5. Compose a concluding paragraph of about 7-10 sentences that reflects on how these forms of technology impacted your personal development. Some questions to consider include: Would you be the same person you are today without this technology? Did any of the technologies covered change you during a specific time of your life? Describe how technology, in general, is a part of who you are based on the artifacts you included in this assignment?
6. Provide MLA citations for each image at the end of your timeline.
7. Share one of your entries with your classmates in the Discussion Forum for this project. Please take the time to look at your classmates’ posts and reply briefly to at least one.